Goblintown NFTs, a new meme-adjacent collection, surpassed the likes of Bored Ape and Mutant Ape Yacht Club, according to CryptoSlam.
See related article: Azuki fortunes reverse as sales soar after floor price drop
- Launched on May 22, Goblintown NFTs are unapologetically crude drawings of goblin-like creatures, with a culture built around poor grammar, memes and toilet humor.
- The success of Goblintown is the latest in a trend of meme-laden NFTs such as Kevin collections and the CryptoDickbutts.
- To join the eccentric bandwagon, buyers must pony up at least US$15,000 after Goblintown.wtf floor prices on OpenSea more than doubled from 3.3 ETH on Wednesday to 7.99 ETH at publishing time.
- However, memes may not be the only driving force here.
- Wash trading, a form of market manipulation where investors trade between themselves to push up prices, on platforms such as LooksRare, can inflate sales prices and volume.
See related article: Sophia the Robot launches ‘Baby Singularities’ NFT collection on OpenSea