The world’s biggest cryptocurrency exchange hired former Financial Conduct Authority official Steven McWhirter as a director of regulatory policy to better manage its compliance function.
See related story: Binance wants to play ball with regulators
- McWhirter will lead the global regulatory policy team for Binance and brings over 20 years of experience in financial services and regulation, both as a supervisor and policymaker.
- He spent over nine years with the FCA and 12 years in regulatory compliance at the U.K. Gambling Commission.
- “My efforts will support Binance by ensuring that the regulatory global compliance is enhanced in tandem with crypto and blockchain innovation,” McWhirter said.
- However, Binance also has a history of top-level employees leaving the company after a short stint.
- Wei Zhou, the chief finance officer at Binance, left the company last year after having worked there for nearly three years.
See related story: Yi He: Binance will take the arrows for industry compliance, security